Sunday, February 3, 2013

A McDonalds Fiasco....and some other stuff :)

Yesterday my roommates and I walked to the Sogo in downtown Fengyuan.  Sogo is the department store (or mall) that they have here.  First we went to a store where we found a ton of cool Chinese New Year cards!  Of course we bought a few.  :)  Then I wanted to find this card game at the Sogo.  Luckily I found it!  The bookstore where we found the cards was right next to a McDonalds.  I decided that I wanted to get some fries since we were there.  So...I attempted to order.  It didn't go as planned though.  The language barrier is tough sometimes.  When I got to the counter I pointed to the fries on the menu, I showed her a number one on my fingers and then I said "big" and motioned with me hands to indicate "big".  Then, she started to say things in Chinese that I didn't understand.  She pointed behind her (the cooking area) and held up 2 fingers.  I thought she was saying there was a 12 minute wait or something like that.  Then....I had to pay. That was a lot more expensive than I was expecting.  I wasn't exactly sure what I had ordered.  Then, they brought out my fries and.....2 ice cream cones??  WHAT?!?  That doesn't make any sense.  I said nothing to make her think that I wanted ice cream cones.  Oh well.  The ice cream cones here are only 15 NT which is about 50 cents.  Luckily I was with my roommates.  They helped me eat the fries and the ice cream cones.  I still have no idea how she got ice cream cone out of the all the gesturing I was doing.  The people here are so patient and willing to help I'm sure she was just trying to help and I appreciate her for that.  Plus...it makes for a good story right?

In other news....I went to church today and at the end of our meetings the branch president came in and asked to talk to me.  I already have a calling so I was thinking he was going to ask me to give a talk.  However...he took me all the way to his office.  Usually you don't do that for a talk.  So...I was thinking I was getting a new calling which made me a little sad.  I really like my current calling.  Both of these assumptions were wrong however.  I now have TWO callings.  I am still the primary music person and now I am also the branch choir director.  WHAT?!?  Whoever told them that I know how to sing was very mistaken.  Oh well.  I'm sure it will be great and I'm looking forward to this new opportunity and experience.   I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment