Saturday, January 26, 2013

Off to Taipei

Saturday January 26, 2013 was quite a busy day.  I woke up at 8:00 to prepare to teach my 4th graders.  I have really struggled with getting through to them.  They are crazy and sometimes loud and disrespectful.  When I was teaching them on Thursday I noticed that they really had no concept of the word respect so we talked about it.  Then, on Saturday, we created a respect comic strip.  I hope that our various activities about respect help my students begin to understand exactly what respect is.  My class was over at 11:00.  I had to run upstairs to quickly get ready to go to Taipei.  We went on a branch temple trip today.  The bus left from Fengyuan at 11:30 in the morning.  The bus ride was about 3 hours long.  While we were on the bus I listened to music and we watch a movie...Johnny Lingo.  About halfway through our trip we stopped at a rest stop.  I got a corn dog, hash browns and strawberry ice cream.  It tasted different than those things would in america but it was still good.  

Then, we finally pulled into Taipei.  As we were driving into the city I could see Taipei 101.  It was so cool!  101 is the second tallest building in the world.  It was pretty cool.  The temple was beautiful!  I loved seeing a new temple and getting to go inside.  This really made me realize that the gospel is true no matter where you are.  :)  


Then, when we were done inside the temple, Calli, Sunny and I walked to a nearby memorial.  It was for a man named Chiang Kai-shek.  I am not a history person so I'm not exactly sure what he did....all I know is that it had to do with the government in Taiwan and the government in China but that's all I got for ya.  I really enjoyed it anyways.



As we were walking to the memorial we saw this sign.  Some of the signs just make me laugh.  Beware of falling coconut branches??.....ok....... :)  I will try to take pictures of more of the interesting signs that I see....they are everywhere.  :)

Then, after we went to the memorial we got back on the bus and we went to Taipei 101 to get dinner.  As I said earlier, Taipei 101 is the second tallest building in the world.  It was cool to go inside.  The first few floors has a mall and a food court.  I think the rest of it are businesses.  You can pay to go all the way to the top of the building but I didn't feel like spending that kind of money yesterday...


this is a picture that I took from the ground as I looked up at the building.  Cool huh?

For dinner I got KFC....I know...really Taiwanese.  :)  The thing that I got off of the menu wasn't the same as in america though.  I got a chicken wrap.  It had chicken, Doritos, and salsa wrapped in a tortilla.  It was surprisingly good.  I also got fries, a biscuit (which is different than in the states) and a Pepsi.  It was a good dinner!  


Then, after we were done with our food, we boarded the bus and headed back to Fengyuan.  I slept for almost the entire bus ride.  I was so tired.  The downside of sleeping for three hours on the bus was that I couldn't fall asleep that night...Oh well.  It was still a really good day!


2 comments:

  1. Kylie, Chiang Kai-Shek lead the Nationalists out of China into Taiwan in 1949 during the communist take over. He is the reason Taiwan is not a communist country. If you are ever in Taipei again, you ought to go to the National Palace Museum it is fun and very interesting. Visit the Chiang Kai-Shek memorial during double ten day if you can (October 10). It is better than the Fourth of July. I hope you have a wonderful New Year celebration. I wish I was in Taiwan right now preparing for Chinese New Year. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of the palace museum...I'm not sure if we will make it to the museum but I don't know that a couple of my roommates and I are spending a couple of days in a hostel during Chinese New Year so maybe we will make it to the museum then? I'm not sure. :)

    ReplyDelete