Saturday, January 19, 2013

Our Saturday Adventure

I had a pretty fun Saturday!  I really enjoyed myself.  It started pretty early...I had to teach 4th grade from 9 to 11 in the morning.  Only 2 of my students came...that was pretty fun.  :)  They have started their winter break so I'm hoping my classes will be a little more sparse....I'm not sure if they really will be though.  :)  Then I did some lesson planning for a couple hours.  After I was done with that we decided to go the pool.  Yes they have a pool here in Taiwan.  It was the coolest pool I have ever seen!  There are two big pools for lap swimming.  There is also a water slide but it was off while we were there.  The best part was the spa part.  There are 3 or 4 hot tubs and then, in the main pool part, there are all of these jets and spa stations.  Depending on which station you choose, the jets will shoot you in a different place on your body.  My favorite one was this one where you laid down and you were surrounded by bubbles.  My least favorite one was a room that you stood in and the water shot at you from every direction but the water was....COLD!!  I couldn't handle it!  I had a really good time.












and yes....they do require you to wear swim caps.  That was lots of fun.  :)

After swimming we rode our bikes back to our apartment and we got ready to go out to dinner.  Our plan was to go to a burger place in Taichung called Chubby's (or however you spell it)...if you have ever watched Boy Meets World this will sound familiar to you.  :)  We got really lucky with our train and bus tickets.  We really wanted to catch the bus that was at 17:40...I think.  That only gave us 13 minutes to walk to the bus station, get our ticket and get to the platform.  We booked it from our apartment, down the three flights of stairs, down the streets, up the stairs, over the train tracks, down the stairs and down the street to the train station in record time.  We also bought our tickets and got to the platform in about 13 minutes.  The second we got down the stairs we saw the train coming in.  PERFECT TIMING!  Then, when we got to Taichung we asked what bus we needed to take to get to the restaurant stop.  She said that we wanted bus 83 or 86 across the street.  We crossed that street and we immediately saw and 83 and flagged it down.  A strange thing here in Taiwan is that the buses don't stop at every stop.  You have to flag it down and hope that they see you.  We flagged it down and we got on just in time.  We didn't have to wait for transportation at all.  Then, our luck changed.  We got to the restaurant and they were closed.  :(  But no worries....we found a different hamburger place down the street from Chubby's.  It was really good!  I enjoyed myself.  The hamburgers were HUGE but still good.  We also got Coke with our meal along with fries and a salad.  SO GOOD!  I was the closest thing that I have had to American food since I have been here.  


Then we stopped at the big department store (mall) in Taichung.  It is called Sogo.  This department store is 18 floors high.  It's so strange.  I thought it would be a bunch of different stores like a mall is in america....Nope.  It wasn't like that.  It was separated by sections instead....the book section...the toy section...the baby section...etc.  I guess that is almost like stores but it was definitely different than what I was used to.  Then, after our shopping experience we decided to head home.  All in all...it was a pretty good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment