So Friday was a pretty fun day. I probably have too much fun with my kids...is that even possible? Ok my kids do listen to me and they do know how to learn but I let them have some fun too. :) A couple days ago I was at the teacher store and I found this game called Uno Stacko. It is basically Jenga except that it has colored blocks with numbers on it and you play it with some of the same rules you would when playing Uno. I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. I love playing games so I thought I might as well buy it. However, I didn't realize that the only instructions on the box were written in Spanish and Portuguese. Random right? Especially in Taiwan....a predominately Chinese speaking country. :) Anyways...the teacher store gives the Berhan teachers a nice discount...about 50% off. So instead of spending 300 NT (about 9 USD) I spent 160 NT (about 5 USD). Not bad for a fun game. I brought it to class on Friday so that my students could play it during their break. They loved it! They got so into it. They especially loved the fact that I was teaching them a new game.
The little girl on the left is Angelina. She is one of my favorites. They are all adorable but she is just so precious. The little girl that is taking a block from the tower is Peko. She is pretty cute too.
Then, after we had our break time and we discussed our reading book we had our DVPE time. We basically played some more for this part of our day. :) For our DVPE on Friday we played with balloons. One thing that I learned about Taiwanese children is that their fine motor skills are really lacking. They don't really play outside. They aren't allowed to. So...we have been encouraged to let them play and work on their fine motor skills. We started the balloon activity by splitting up into two teams and just hitting the balloon up in the air and seeing how many times they could hit it before the balloon hit the ground. They were surprisingly good at it. So...we moved into relay-type activities. They stayed in their teams but they had to do something with the balloon as they moved across the room and then it was the next person's turn until the whole team as finished. I started out easy. They just had to hit the ball up in the air as they moved to the other side of the room. This was surprisingly hard for them. Then, I got progressively harder. My favorite one was that they had to get on their bellies and blow the balloon to the other side of the room. Now you may be asking yourself....what does this have to do with verbalization practice? Well....I must admit that I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to incorporate verbalization practice but I figured it out! We talked about the terms hard, harder, hardest, easier and easiest. We did a lot of comparison discussion. My students also did not know what the word "blow" meant so I taught that word to them as well. I really enjoyed my class this Friday!
Fridays in my Basic Reading class is also prize day. I have a clothespin chart in my classroom. They each have a clothespin with their name on it. There are four steps on this chart. If they have been good they are on blue. If they need to improve their behavior they move down to yellow. If they continue to cause problems they move down to orange and they lose part of their break time. Then, if they continue to cause problems they move down to red and they have to talk to the secretary. If they were on blue all week they can pick from the prize box. A lot of my students were on blue this week and I think more of my students will be on blue next week because they saw how cool the prize box was. I started this program this week but I really think it is working....let's hope it keeps working. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment