Saturday, January 5, 2013

Our grocery store adventure

So...for the last week we have been living off of toast, Ramen, and frozen chicken nuggets with the occasional trip to Le Chie's (Lee Chee's) for dumplings or Bing Sha for a smoothie.  We decided that Saturday would be a FANTASTIC day to do a little grocery shopping.  We started off the day at a local fast food restaurant.  I got a chicken burger that actually wasn't that bad.  I also ordered some dumplings to save for later.  Then, while we were waiting for our food to be done we got a Bing Sha.  It was definitely a good, filling meal and I got some stuff to save for dinner as well!  The total cost for that entire meal was 90 NT (less than 3 dollars).  SUCH A BARGAIN!


Callie, one of our roommates, recommended it to us and showed us where the restaurant was and I am definitely glad that she did!  :)  

Then, after we ate lunch, Callie walked us to the teacher store.  That is a store here that is PACKED with things that are perfect for teaching.  Berhan teachers get a discount as well.  :)  We didn't buy anything because I wasn't able to justify buying anything since I haven't gotten an actual salary yet but it was nice to see where it was.  There were literally boxes and boxes of stuff.  You could barely move through the isles because there was so much stuff everywhere!  That how a lot of Taiwan is....packed!  

This is the entrance to the store.  It's sort of hard to see but you can tell that there is stuff EVERYWHERE!

Then, after that adventure, Callie when home and Sunny and I headed on our way to go find a mart.  Luckily we knew how to get there (sort of).  GOOD NEWS!  We didn't get lost!  I was very proud of that.  


It is so different walking in to a store where the people don't speak English.  I have so much more sympathy for people that come to american and don't speak English.  It must be so difficult for them.  It was so funny.  The entire staff was following us around and watching us the entire time.  I'm sure it's because they just wanted to see what the americans were going to do next.  They just wanted to watch us make a fool of ourselves.  At one point I picked up a bag of dumplings and I must have looked a little confused because this lady came over and offered me a sample of the different kinds of dumplings.  They were really good and I did end up buying some.  We also got a sample of yogurt milk which I was not a fan of and Sunny tried Fermented milk......I don't think she knew what it was until she finished though...Anyways...we did finally make it through the store with a few things.  I bought a decent amount of stuff and I only spent $588.  Translated that would be about $20.  Not bad.  

Then, we had a long trek home with bags and backpacks full of stuff.  In this country they charge you if you want a bag so we just brought our own bags and backpacks and shoved everything in there.  It worked.  It's only $1 more but it's easier just to bring my own bags.  Well....I guess that is all for now.  I don't have much more to say about my adventure in Taiwan today.....it was a pretty good day now I have to decide between sleeping and working on lesson plans.  I choose sleeping.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment