Saturday, January 12, 2013

It's my birthday!

So...tonight we had planned to take a bus to Fengjia.  There is a huge night market there.  We planned to meet a couple of the other teachers there along with their friends.  They were a little late so we explored the night market while we waited for them.  When they finally got there we walked to a Tibetan/Indian food place.  I was a little nervous when we walked in because I am not a fan of spicy foods and I'm not much of an adventurous eater.  Anyone who knows me should know that.  Anyways...I decided to try something new.  Callie, Sunny and I decided that we wanted to try a little bit of everything.  We each ordered something and then we planned on sharing it.  It was SO much food!  I ordered a curry dish.  I don't remember what it was called.  I just know that it had chicken in it and it was red.  I also ordered bread with it to put the curry on top of.  Sunny got another curry dish.  Hers was green.  She ordered rice to go with hers.  Then, Callie ordered chicken.  It tasted a lot like barbecue chicken.  All of that food was Indian.  Then we ordered these rolls from the Tibetan menu.  I was not a fan of them.  They had some weird egg stuff in them.  I was adventurous and tried all of the food!  I was definitely impressed with myself.  We had a lot of leftover food that we brought home.  

Then Callie, Sunny and I decided it was about time to leave so that we could catch our bus.  The last bus leaves Fengjia at 10.  It was already 9:15.  But Tawny said that they had one more thing to do.  I definitely was NOT expecting this.  Tawny got me a cake!  She got a candle and I blew it out while they sang Happy Birthday to me....in three different languages....English, Chinese, and Spanish.  :)  It was so unexpected.  I had no idea this was coming.  Sunny also bought me a cake earlier that day so I guess I will have A LOT of cake.  :)  I really love all of the people here.  They have made this place feel like home.  Then, as we left we saw a bus drive past us.  We ran to catch it and we made it just in time.  We were lucky.  We didn't want to have to wait until the next one.  The bus ride was about an hour long...while we were on the bus we played life.  It was pretty fun.  :)  And I guess that is the end of my birthday adventures.......for now anyways.  :)

1 comment: